Friday, January 1, 2016

Eggplant, Spinach, and Chickpea Hash


Eggplant, Spinach and Chickpea Hash in my Farbareware New Traditions frying pan



The day that I developed this recipe, I think that I was very lucky to have the day off from work.  I woke up at about 7, feeling exhausted and just weak overall.  I needed more rest but couldn't fall back to sleep; I thought to lay on the couch, but the livingroom was a mess.  I knew that if I sat in the livingroom the mess would drive me crazy and I would feel the need to clean it, but I also knew that I just didn't have the energy to do it.  I choose to lay in bed, effectively ignoring the mess for the time being, to watch my morning TV instead (if I'm home, I religiously watch Charmed on TNT in the morning).  I don't think it was until about 10:45, when I was watching the second episode of Supernatural (because it comes on after Charmed and I was just too lazy to change the channel), that I was enticed from my bed by hunger. 

I had a craving for potatoes, which was very strange since I have had a strong dislike of potatoes since childhood.  They were one of those things that I didn't quite like but my parents forced me to eat all of the time.  My father loved potatoes and my mom insisted on having a startch with every meal, so on top of not liking potatoes, I got potatoed out!  As a result, I didn't eat a single potato (save for the candied yams at holidays) for years.  I am only recently, at the age of 32, able to eat some potatoes again.  I decided I wanted to make a hash, and after looking at a few recipes online I was inspired to come up with this IC-friendly recipe. I was very pleased with the result and enjoyed a very nice brunch!

A week later, I half-drunkenly promised my mother, on Christmas Eve, to make this recipe for Christmas brunch.  I hated that promise the next morning, but was very happy that I made this as everyone really enjoyed it.  The only complaint I had was the beans; I didn't have any canned so I tried to use dried for the first time ever.  I guess I didn't cook them long enough and they still had a slight crunch to them.  So, I suppose that I have to place a warning here - if you use dried chickpeas (and doing so is a great way to cut down on sodium!) make sure you cook them well!  Other then that, this recipe is delicious and I hope that you find it just as enjoyable!

A quick note: 
You will see that I add turmeric to this recipe; I like to sneak turmeric into my recipes as it is proven to act as an anti-inflammatory.  I'm not sure if I add enough of it to be of much effect, but I like to have the sense that I've done something extra to help all the same.  I suppose that it gives me an added sense of control over this awfully unpredictable thing that is Interstitial Cystitis, however misplaced that sense may or may not be.

Eggplant, Spinach, and Chickpea Hash

Ingredients: 
*Green = Bladder Friendly foods; *Orange = Foods to try wih Caution; *Red = Foods to Avoid
*2 Red Potatoes
*1/2 a small onion
*1/2 cup eggplant
*1/2 cup chopped spinach
*One 7.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
*1/4 tsp turmeric
*1/4 tsp Italian seasoning 
*1/4 tsp thyme
*1/2 tsp Rosemary
*3/4 tsp garlic powder
*2 Tbsp olive oil
*Salt
*Pepper
 

Method:
Heat oil in a large sautee or fry pan on medium heat.  Add the potatoes and the onions (leave the onions out if you are sensitive) and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste (leave the pepper out if you are sensitive as well).  Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are just starting to turn translucent, stirring occasionally.  Next, add the eggplant; cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the eggplant becomes golden brown.  Once the eggplant begins to change color, add the chickpeas, turmeric, italian seasoning, thyme, rosemary, and garlic powder.  Stir all seasoning in very well.  Cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then add the spinach.  Cook until the spinach is wilted; about 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat and serve. Serves 2.

 If you are sensitive to onions, you can try using scallions, or green onions, in their place.  If so, you may add them at the end with the spinach.  One trick that I love to do with scallions is use only the green part.  If you save the white end, you can regrow them! Just put the white ends in water in a sunny location and it will begin to regrow almost immediately! In the past, I have seen some grow from the middle a fourth inch to a half inch just overnight!  Be sure to change the water that they are in every day or they may begin to rot.  You can leave them in the water or, once they begin to grow new roots you can plant them in soil.  Once the green part has grown long enough, you can cut it off and use it and the plant will once again grow back.  If you do it right, you can always have fresh scallions on hand!

                             


*Nutrition information has been provided through the MyFitnessPal App and is based on a 2,000 calorie a day diet.  As I input the ingredients by hand to come up with this information, some human error is possible.  To keep sodium content down, be sure to rinse the chickpeas well or use dried instead of canned*

**If doubling this recipe, you will need to double cooking times as well!**

No comments:

Post a Comment