Saturday, January 2, 2016

IC Friendly Taco Seasoning



Just a quick tip for today - A recipe I found on Pinterest a while back!  The link on Pinterest didn't go anywhere but to an image, so I'm not really sure who to give credit to, but I love this mix and use it often and in many things!  It does contain a few items from the try it side of the IC diet, so be careful with this one. Note that this mix calls for Paprika - I remember reading somewhere that Hungarian Paprika goes through a slightly different process then others and this makes it safer for IC patients to use.  I can't remember where I read that though, so I can't back it up nor can I even prove to myself that I'm not mixing my facts up, so please take that bit of info with a grain of salt.  I do know for sure that Paprika comes in varying degrees of heat, as it is made from peppers, but most commercially available brands are on the sweet end.  Just double check before using so that you can be sure not to use a spicy paprika!



Ingredients:
*Green = Bladder Friendly foods; *Orange = Foods to try wih Caution; *Red = Foods to Avoid



*1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
*1/2 tsp Onion Powder
*1/2 tsp Dried Oregano 
*1 tsp Paprika
*3 tsp Cumin
*2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
*2 tsp Sea Salt





Method: 
Combine all spices in a bowl and mix well.  Store in an air-tight container in a dry environment.  I store my spice mix in a glass spice shaker that I found at Bed Bath and Beyond and it was only $2.00 or $3.00; a very worthwhile investment!!

2 comments:

  1. Update - Since I found this recipe for taco seasoning mix that is Interstial Cystitis diet friendly, I have made it about four times now. When I first made it, I doubled the recipe and I had so much of it that it lasted a long time. Being able to use it for months without having to remake the mix and dealing with shoulder surgery on top of that created a lapse in my memory and I forgot my own trick for this mix. (Ok ok, I guess fibro fog had a hand in that too....) When I first mixed this mix up, I left the paprika out and used turmeric in it's place. While turmeric still upsets some ICers' bladders, I believe that it would probably be safer then paprika for most. Plus turmeric has anti inflammatory properties so I feel like I'm doing something to help my body (even though I know that I'm probably not consuming enough for it to really be effective). If you find that you are sensitive to paprika then give turmeric a try.

    Here's wishing you health, happiness, and a more content bladder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately for me, cumin is a no go. My favorite spice ever, too. 😭

    ReplyDelete